For the first time in the Paragon3 series, BLI is bringing out the USRA Light and Heavy 2-8-2 designs, commonly called Heavy Mikados and Light Mikados. There were 233 original USRA Heavy 2-8-2's built plus another 957 copies, covering 23 railroads. It was an extremely successful design. The USRA Heavy Mikados used pretty much the same running gear as the Light Mik's, but the boilers were 10 inches larger in diameter and they had larger cylinders as well. Tractive effort was about 10% higher for the heavy 2-8-2's.
As for the USRA Light Mikados, the USRA built 625 total, with 641 copies built after the USRA ended control. With copies, over 50 railroads used the USRA Light 2-8-2's.
BLI's models follow the original designs closely. Railroad specific variations are not modeled on these locomotives. In most instances we offer two locomotive numbers for each railroad, and we are offering a painted model (black) with no lettering.
NOTICE: Due to insufficient boiler diameter in the USRA Mikados, these units will not have smoke units.
- NEW Paragon3 Sound & Operation System FEATURING ROLLING THUNDERTM with Authentic Sounds and Prototypical Operation in both DC and DCC environments
- Locomotive Composition: ABS Body with Die Cast Chassis
- Tender Composition: ABS Body with Die Cast Chassis
- Couplers: (2) Operating Kadee or Compatible
- Compatible Tracks: Code 83 and 100 Rail
- Equipped with Traction Tires
- Minimum Operating Radius: 18 in or greater